April 16, 2009

Chicks Dig Scars...and Teeth (with Update)

I have three boys. There's only room for one princess (that's me, btw) in our home. I think God gave me three boys for a reason*...not only because of the princess thing I just mentioned, but because he knows me better than I know myself. Translation: boys are way easier, and I don't have patience for drama.** Not that my boys can't be dramatic at times - good grief, I've certainly had to deal with plenty of "Johnny Drama" scenes around here. But, the high-maintenance type of drama that usually goes along with girls...that just cramps my style.

Over the last seven years, there's been numerous adventures and mishaps that have resulted in one or more of my boys running and screaming (somewhat dramatically and ever so slightly screaming like a girl) in search of a Band-aid and a kiss to make it better. I always took care to clean the wound with hydrogen-peroxide, add a dab of Neosporin and a Sponge Bob Band-aid, and finish off with a kiss. But, I do confess, I don't ever recall thinking "Gee, I really hope that doesn't scar." Maybe, subconsciously, I was really thinking "Chicks dig scars" and left it at that.

However, I also know that chicks dig teeth, too. A few months ago, my middle son and I were enjoying an outing with a friend of mine and her kids. It was winter, cold and crummy out and we thought it'd be great to let the kids blow off some energy at one of those "bounce house" type places. It was great...up until my son's tooth made contact with her son's skull. Enter Johnny Drama - crying and running to find me...only, this time, blood is all over his lips and teeth.***

Turns out he damaged the root of his tooth, and the tooth has been yellowish/grayish ever since. His pediatric dentist has been watching it, and at the last visit she said we may have to pull it at his next checkup. Two things: (1) thank goodness it's just a baby tooth, and (2) I'm thinking I should forbid him to ever go to one of those bounce-house places again. I'm not neurotic, really...but, the thought of having a repeat episode once he has his permanent teeth...it just makes me cringe.

Not that I relish the thought of my boys developing an interest in girls someday...but, I know it's going to happen, and I know that chicks dig guys who have teeth. So, why wouldn't I take some extra precautions to ensure he keeps his teeth? Scars, however...bring 'em on.

* I admit I secretly hoped for a girl during each one of my pregnancies...even had girl names picked out just in case the image we had seen on the ultrasound wasn't actually a boy-part.

** I never knew I didn't have much patience. This is a quirk I've grown to embrace since becoming a mom.

*** I'm rather proud of the amount of patience I had in dealing with that particular injury.

UPDATE (5/13/09): I am proud to say I recently took all three of my boys to House of Bounce and there were no injuries! Hooray...I can still claim I'm not neurotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment